Tuesday, August 7, 2012

We had joy, we had fun, we’ll have seasons in the sun!

Image: animalswithsunglasses

After four months of extensive blogging about cats and their crazy owners, now would be the perfect moment to clarify something in this, my final, blog post: I am not, nor have I ever been, a crazy cat lady. 

Does that restore my credibility? I guess not. It’s too late, and a blatant lie at that. I am an animal lover, and everybody who’s already had the almost imponderable joy of meeting me in real life, or, as an online presence in a different place, is aware of my fondness for felines. I am crazy about my cat Siri, which, apparently, makes me a crazy cat lady myself. 

But if caring for and about a feline housemate makes me a crazy lady, so be it. Indeed, I do take our cohabitation and friendship very seriously: I feed her, detick her, take her to the vet, and calm her down during thunderstorms and fireworks. In return, she greets me several times a day, soothes me, and protects me from snakes, spiders, bugs, birds, gnats, and butterflies. It’s mutual understanding, mutual support, a mutual friendship. 

Also, having lived and shared almost 22 years of my life with at least one pet at a time (my family’s had a dog, a rabbit, a few cats, fish, and chickens) has taught me several crucial lessons regarding human relationships:
  •  don’t trust anyone who’s cruel to animals;
  •  don’t invite people over who criticise your pet(s) in your own home;
  •  non-verbal communication still works best, on (almost) any given occasion;
  •  invest time, love, and energy, and you’ll be amply rewarded;
  •  never, ever, underestimate the power of “meow”.
Having gotten my teeth into – and blogged about – cats and their influence on my life for four months, I can now safely say that taking care of a non-human being has made me a less selfish, more altruistic person. I recalled and analysed moments in the past and came to the conclusion that being crazy about something or someone isn’t crazy at all. That doesn’t make you crazy; excessive behaviour does. 

I think blogging about my cat, and thus one of my favourite topics in the universe, was a good idea. I hope you do, too. I also hope you enjoyed reading my posts as much as I enjoyed writing them. 

For now, there’s nothing left to be added, except – dear colleagues, blogger folks, coffee addicts, nerds, and especially crazy cat ladies – have a nice summer! 

Yours truly,
CCL


Image: hammocksonline

No comments:

Post a Comment