Thursday, June 14, 2012

GUITARS: THE KEY TO A MYRIAD OF DOORS AND ADVENTURES


On a chilly night, there is nothing more wonderful than sitting around a campfire with your friends, telling spooky stories and baking foil-wrapped potatoes on the hot embers. But still, one thing is missing! The sound of a guitar. It's the guitar that makes this atmosphere really cozy.  
A camping trip isn't complete without some playing and singing around the campfire. During the first hour of playing, everybody sings together with the guitarist; people relax, chat and get to know each other better. But, this idyllic scene turns up-side down when you hear “It's beer time.” As soon as all soberness vanishes, darkness falls on the guitarist's eyes.  There are remarks such as: “Stop playing ballads; something faster, please!”, or “Give me that guitar; now you’ll see the real guitar expert.” Well, you have no choice but to let these smart alecks show off and wait until they fall asleep or get bored. I think even if the guitar didn't have the strings, they would be too drunk to notice.  
On nights like these, the guitarist has to either develop a strategic plan of disappearing mysteriously or continue playing all night long regardless of the madness around. If you want to see your guitar in one piece the next morning, choose the former. If you don't manage to escape, play a classic rock number like “Wind of Change” or “Stairway to Heaven.” Their emotions will go up and down on a rollercoaster, and they'll soon fall asleep.

Unfortunately, I'm one of these poor guitarists who have experienced everything. Every summer I make a firm promise not to take my guitar on camping trips. But I break that promise because of that golden hour of pure soberness. Like short stories, these camping nights have a cozy introduction, an unpredictable beer-soaked climax and a very predictable resolution. Last year, one friend of mine ended up hugging and kissing my guitar. He didn't want to give it back to me. Who knows what was on his mind!



A guitar is not only an essential part of camping. It's practical and you can take it with you on a bus trip or a cruise ship, on any kind of vacation for that matter. If you're thinking whether you should take your guitar with you or not, I'll help you to make a decision: Yes, you should! Three years ago, when I decided to study in Austria, I wasn't sure whether I should bring my guitar or not because I already had too much luggage at the time. It turned out to be a good decision to “reserve” two seats on the bus to Austria: one for me, and one for my guitar. The man sitting in front of me saw tears rolling down my face and said to me: “Crying won't help you; take that guitar and play for us.” After a while, I took my guitar and played, putting behind me the thoughts of leaving home and moving to another country. After hearing me play, the same man in front of me recommended a Croatian Cultural Association where I could teach. This was a unique opportunity that I didn't want to miss out on because I didn't know German at the time. For three years now, I've been teaching guitar part-time in this association to children between the ages of 8 and 16. The people who belong to this association have recommended me to others and beginning in October this year, I'll be teaching an older group of Austrians in the organization ibuk (Association for Cross-Cultural Encounter and Cultural Mediation). Guitar playing can open many doors in life for you. Had I not brought mine  to Austria, I would have almost certainly ended up working in clothing store or supermarket. Teaching and playing the guitar, however, means combining business and pleasure. I'm not sure if that would be possible in a clothing store.

The sound of a guitar is also an essential part of travelling for pleasure. A few weeks ago, I went to Bosnia on a coach with a group of 35 Austrians who sing in my sister's choir along with a couple of my friends. Luckily, I didn't have to play much, since there were two guys who didn't take their guitars out of their hands the whole trip. Crates of beer, bottles of “rakija” (Bosnian fruit brandy), snacks and the sound of the guitar kept them alive throughout the 12-hour journey. Weary from travelling, I fell asleep, waking up a couple of hours later, to see them still playing and singing. I thought: “These people know how to enjoy themselves!”
There are so many different things you can do if you play the guitar. You can also form a band. It's hard work but playing in a band can be one of the most memorable experiences ever. Many of the world's most successful guitarists began their carriers as members of a band but then ended up as solo artists. Many guitarists express themselves through playing. For them, playing the guitar becomes the ultimate form of communication. Just listen to Eric Clapton's “Layla” and you'll see what I mean.


Playing the guitar offers you a myriad of opportunities. Playing the guitar means travelling, meeting new people and having a laugh. It means adventure! So start taking some lessons and give yourself some of the opportunities and adventures, the guitar offers you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment