Thursday, June 28, 2012

Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream ...


Spending a lot of time down by the river with the intention of studying for tests seems to be a good idea – doing something useful and soaking up the sun at the same time. Unfortunately, I get distracted easily and the Salzach is the perfect place for distractions. This summer seems especially crazy, with ambulances driving through town by the hour. But my favorite distraction by far is and always will be the panorama boat “Amadeus Salzburg”.



Boats have always borne a certain fascination for me. I cannot quite explain what it is that mesmerizes me. As a child it was always that big, heavy boat floating on water. Even now that I know how a heavy steel construction can float on water, I still love watching boats. As a child it was also the size that fascinated me. Now, however, it is the connotation of liberty that comes with boats that captivates me. With a boat you are free to go wherever you want to (the same applies for helicopters which are also heavy and allow you to fly anywhere).

The Salzach has been used for the transportation of salt since the Middle Ages, where shipping by boat was the only efficient means of transportation. Many occupations depended upon the salt trade . The last documented ship loaded with salt crossed the Salzach in 1866 with the railroad becoming more and more popular and efficient compared to transportation by ship.

The numerous shoals always held a certain danger. That´s why it was necessary to construct a boat with as little draft as possible. Since 2002 the “Amadeus Salzburg” has been sailing down the Salzach. Starting from Markatsteg Bridge, the 14m-long ship takes passengers eight kilometers downriver to the Hellbrunn shipping pier, offering a magnificent view of the city of Salzburg and its surroundings. A draft of only about 38 centimeters, thanks to the aluminum design, makes it possible to navigate on the Salzach without difficulties.

As a special highlight for the tourists, the “Amadeus Salzburg” actually dances the waltz at the end of it journey. Ok, it just spins around, but it does this to the sound of the Viennese Waltz, so we say it dances. I´m still waiting for the day when someone gets seasick and pukes off the ship´s rail.
But I´ve talked to several passengers and they were all delighted by the experience and the wonderful view the trip offers.



Up to now I have to admit, I have not taken a trip down the river on the “Amadeus” myself. To be honest I´m kind of scared to. Not that I´m afraid of the water; I think I made that clear; but I´m scared that the trip will be a disappointment. For years I´ve been watching tourists getting in and out of the ship. For years I´ve imagined what it would be like. For years I´ve had a picture in my head of me taking the trip and being flabbergasted by it. This is a lot of weight in expectations, not just on the boat ride but on me as well. I´m afraid that the picture I´ve created over the year will go up in flames in just a couple of minutes. I´m afraid that this wonderful ship that has brought joy to me for years will lose all the glamour it holds for me right now. But one day I will take the plunge, one day I will take a trip up the river on the “Amadeus Salzburg”.

No comments:

Post a Comment