Thursday, June 28, 2012

Style

When I first arrived in Salzburg in October of 2008 I was miserable. I left shorts and t-shirt weather and for the first time in 12 years was required to wear a peacoat. I remember thinking “but its only October, doesn’t it start to get cold after Thanksgiving?” I grew up watching all these Lifetime movies of girls wearing lovely fall coats, walking in fields of red and yellow fallen leaves, and there I was bundled up, misguided, never exposing more than a centimeter of skin.

When my first winter rolled around I was shocked. How could it possibly get any colder? When would this bitter cold go away? Why was I always so sleepy? These were all things that I hated, time taught me, however, to appreciate them.

When spring finally arrived, I say finally because five months of snow was unbearable, I blossomed like all the flowers. Skirts, dresses, and tanktops were being dusted off and placed at the front of the closet, while all the winter clothes were pushed into boxes and hidden in a dark attic, where they belonged in my opinion.

Spring, however, introduced me to a whole other sight: women in Dirndls and men in Lederhosen. I hope not to offend anyone, but my naïve 2008-self thought it was all one big joke. I knew that this was the traditional garb of Austrians, but I couldn’t believe that the younger generation wore them and— did so with pride. I was arrogant and looked down on them, but year after year I started recognizing dirndls as an early sign of spring.

I, however, had a huge issue with seeing past the dirndls. With my Northern California feminist-hippy mindset I thought the pushed up lady bits was a tad bit tacky. I could clearly picture a beer hall filled with drunken men in lederhosen harassing the poor beer-maidens in their dirndls, lowering them onto their laps, as specks of spittle would fall onto their lacey blouses. That was until I lost my dirndl-virginity.

This past April, I was invited to a “Traditional-Freak” wedding, which meant you could either dress in traditional Austrian clothing or Goth. I’ve got some weird friends. The whole “Dressing Up Adna” turned into such a spectacle for my Austrian friends. Lady bits were pushed around, extra makeup was being added, braids were braided, the whole shebang. I thought I would hate it. I thought I wouldn’t be able to breathe. I thought my lady bits would fall out; on the contrary, everything stayed in place and breathing was only semi-hard, as a result, I ended up loving the whole experience.

Because of my experience at the wedding I became a lot more open-minded to traditional dresses and soon after realized that it could’ve been much worse; I could’ve decided to study in Macedonia:

Could you imagine all those layers and metal in the spring? I’d wear a dirndl any day of the week.

Signed, Converted American 




Sources: http://www.123rf.com/photo_5340377_bavarian-woman-in-dirndl-holds-beer-stein-in-front-of-at-oktoberfest.html




No comments:

Post a Comment